This page highlights case studies, videos, tools, and other resources from our partners for organizations interested in diving into the climate impact of their packaging. There are many ways to reduce the climate impact of packaging as well as multiple environmental considerations including packaging end-of-life and circular systems, toxicity, litter, water pollution, marine eco toxicity and more. Using a tool (see the assessment tools below) to measure the GHG impacts of your packaging can also help you design the negative climate impacts out of your packaging supply chain. The ideal is to achieve climate reductions while simultaneously addressing other key factors that your company may value.
We've developed a listserve as a way to provide an open forum within our packaging committed companies to share questions, information, and resources with others in the community directly. Packaging is the most challenging climate action area for many of us, and we know we can make progress faster if we work together and learn from each other. Interested in joining? Please email [email protected] to learn more or to join if your company has made a packaging commitment.
- For those needing more tailored support, Sustainable Food Trade Association is available to help!
- For those looking for thought leadership opportunities and material solutions for compostable and bio-based packaging alternatives, OSC2 is available to help!
Partners and Solutions Providers:
Packaging Assessment Tools:
- Compass Software Tool
- Earth Shift Package Smart
- Instant Life Cycle Assessment - Packaging
- The APR Design Guide for Plastics Recyclability
- Evaluation of Size Sorting Potential for Articles with at least 2 Dimensions Less than 2 Inches
Case Studies & Toolkits:
- Sustainable Packaging Toolkit
- The SHP Sustainability & Regenerative Practices Toolkit
- Light-Weighting Secondary Packaging to Reduce Climate Impact
- From the Drink to the Bottle; Revolutionizing Sugarcane
- A Switch to Plant-Based Packaging to Reduce Climate Impact
- Climate Action Retailer Quick Guide on Packaging
- Impacts of Increased Recycled Content in Secondary Packaging
- Happy Family Organics Right-Sizes Packages Reducing Climate Impact
- Conversion to 50% Post Consumer Recycled PET Bottles
- Spotlight: Annie’s
- Spotlight: Happy Family
- Spotlight: Nature’s Path
- Spotlight: Plum Organics
- Spotlight: REBBL
- Spotlight: Stonyfield
- OSC's Packaging Collaborative: Building the Next Generation of Packaging Solutions
- Packaging Paradox: How Retailers Can Tackle Packaging Reductions
- Ideate. Analyze. Mitigate: Lessons From Packaging Life Cycle Assessments
- Clear Winners: How Three Companies Improved Their Packaging Impacts Using LCAs
- Right Side Up: The Lowdown on Packaging Lifecycle Climate Impacts and Opportunities
- A Tale of Three Retailers
- Optimizing Packaging Climate Impacts Through Life Cycle Assessment
- A Delicate Balance: The Science, Art, and Business of Sustainable Plastic Packaging Design
- Yin and Yang: Understanding and Conveying Advantages of your Sustainable Product Packaging
- OSC2 Event: Where does our packaging go?