This April, the U.S. is expected to formally announce a new climate commitment, adding an official target (called a nationally determined contribution or NDC) to back up our January reentry into the Paris Climate Accords.
Alongside that, for the first time ever, small-and medium-sized companies now have a platform for being part of the global climate agenda. The SME Hub, announced last fall, will be serving as a registry and resource hub for companies making proactive net zero commitments.
The Climate Collaborative is proud to be a resource and outreach partner in the hub, co-hosted by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the Exponential Roadmap Initiative, the We Mean Business coalition and the United Nations Race to Zero campaign. It will formally launch this September at Climate Week in New York, and we're giving CC committed companies a special chance to be part of it.
We hope hundreds of CC companies will join up in the coming months--here is basic info on how to do so:
- Who can join? Any company that has less than 500 employees can sign up.
- What's the commitment? Companies that join will be committing to halve their emissions by 2030, achieve net zero emissions before 2050, and to disclose their progress annually (on your website, sustainability report, or other platforms).
- Is there a cost? No, the platform is fully free to join.
- Why should I join? SMEs account for more than 97% of businesses in the U.S. and are vulnerable to the changing climate, but have been underrepresented in national and international climate conversations to date. By making a commitment through the hub, you can be part of a movement to change that and have your voice represented at every level of the climate dialogue.
- Where do I get resources to help me? The SME Hub has created a compendium of tools to help companies measure and set targets--including a range of CC resources! You can see their full resource hub here.
- Who has joined already? Hundreds of SMEs have already signed up, but we need more U.S. first movers! You can see which companies have already signed up here.